1. "You can do more than pray after you have prayed; but you can never do more than pray until you have prayed." A.J. Gordon
2. "You can do more than pray after you have prayed; but you can never do more than pray until you have prayed." A.J. Gordon
3. "Prayer strikes the winning blow; service is simply picking up the pieces." S.D. Gordon
4. "One should never initiate anything that he cannot saturate with prayer."
5. "The greatest thing anyone can do for God or man is pray." S.D. Gordon
6. "If I fail to spend two hours in prayer each morning, the devil gets the victory through the day. I have so much business I cannot get on without spending three hours daily in prayer.
7. "The most important thing a born again Christian can do is to pray."
8. "Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons, but they are helpless against our prayers."
9. “God shapes the world by prayer. The more prayer there is in the world the better the world will be, the mightier the forces of against evil …” E.M. Bounds
10. “Prayer is where the action is." John Wesley
11. "Satan does not care how many people read about prayer if only he can keep them from praying.
12. "0h brother, pray; in spite of Satan, pray; spend hours in prayer; rather neglect friends than not pray; rather fast, and lose breakfast, dinner, tea, and supper - and sleep too - than not pray. And we must not talk about prayer, we must pray in right earnest. The Lord is near. He comes softly while the virgins slumber."
13. "Talking to men for God is a great thing, but talking to God for men is greater still." E.M. Bounds
14. "No learning can make up for the failure to pray. No earnestness, no diligence, no study, no gifts will supply its lack." E.M. Bounds
15. "Prayer is not overcoming God's reluctance, but laying hold of His willingness."
16. “I would rather teach one man to pray than ten men to preach.” Charles Spurgeon
17. “The man who mobilizes the Christian church to pray will make the greatest contribution to world evangelization in history.” Andrew Murray
18. "Eighteen-year-old Hudson Taylor wandered into his father's library and read a gospel tract. He couldn't shake off its message. Finally, falling to his knees, he accepted Christ as his Savior. Later, his mother, who had been away, returned home. When Hudson told her the good news, she said, "I already know. Ten days ago, the very date on which you tell me you read that tract, I spent the entire afternoon in prayer for you until the Lord assured me that my wayward son had been brought into the fold." Our Daily Bread, July 19, 1989. [Hudson Taylor (1832-1905) was a famous missionary in China. He was founder of the China Inland Mission which, at his death, included 205 mission stations with over 800 missionaries, and 125,000 Chinese Christians. He spent 51 years in China].
19. Spurgeon's "boilerroom." Five young college students were spending a Sunday in London, so they went to hear the famed C.H. Spurgeon preach. While waiting for the doors to open, the students were greeted by a man who asked, "Gentlemen, let me show you around. Would you like to see the heating plant of this church?" They were not particularly interested, for it was a hot day in July. But they didn't want to offend the stranger, so they consented. The young men were taken down a stairway, a door was quietly opened, and their guide whispered, "This is our heating plant." Surprised, the students saw 700 people bowed in prayer, seeking a blessing on the service that was soon to begin in the auditorium above. Softly closing the door, the gentleman then introduced himself. It was none other than Charles Spurgeon. Our Daily Bread, April 24.
20. "We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties." Oswald Chambers
21. Prayer breaks all bars, dissolves all chains, opens all prisons, and widens all straits by which God's saints have been held." E. M. Bounds
22. "Four things let us ever keep in mind: God hears prayer, God heeds prayer, God answers prayer, and God delivers by prayer." E. M. Bounds
23. "The true church lives and moves and has its being in prayer." Leonard Ravenhill
24. "The secret of all failure is our failure in secret prayer."
25. “Prayer can never be in excess.” C. H. Spurgeon
Judges Chapter One:
The book of Judges is the second of twelve historical books. In the previous book of Josuah, we see three main events: #1. The Crossing of the river, #2. The Conquering of the enemy, #3. The Claiming of the inheritance. However inspite of these three victories, in Judges Israel is still battling.
As believers under grace POSITIONALLY: #1. We HAVE VICTORY. "We are more than conquerors through him that loved us." (Rom.8:32) #2. We are already seated with Christ in the heavenlies. (Eph. 2:6) Yet PRACTICALLY we still battle the world, the flesh, and the devil.
We like Israel could have complete victory, yet we too settle for compromise.
In Judges, we see this statement:"in those days Israel had no king, but every man did that which was right in his own eyes." In other words, they lived as they had no authority.
We see a pattern in Judges: #1. Israel would backslide, #2. Israel would be chastened, #3. God would send Israel a deliever.
Notice five truths in Judges 1:1-15 concerning complete victory:
#1. We Must Realize The Sovereignty Of The Lord.
Compare Josuah 1:1 with Judges 1:1
"..after the death of Moses.." "..after the death of Josuah.."
The Lord's work will CONTINUE, it will not CEASE, it will CARRY ON.
#2. We Must Remember To Shout To The Lord.
Judah = Praise
Could it be the ones who have an attitude of praise lead the way?
The ones with an attitude of DEFEAT or DISCOURAGEMENT will NOT lead the way. Nor will those with a DISGRUTLED attitude lead the way.
#3. We Must Reconize The Immutable Law Of Sowing And Reaping.
"Requited" - To make approprite return for.
1375 years before Paul penned GaL. 6:7 Adoni-bezek illustated this principal of reaping what you sow.
#4. We Must Rely On Supplication.
Notice: Achsah requested of her father.
-She went bodly before her father.
-She was respectful.
-She asked of him.
-She did not demand.
-She recieved more abudantly that she asked.
#5. We Must Rely On The Spirit.
Verse 15 "springs of water"
John 4:14 "springing up.."
John 7:37-39 "living water"
In Judges chapter one: Israel failed to CONQUER the land. This chapter began with repeated victories, but ended with repeated defeats. Sadly victory led to compromise.
In Judges chapter two: Israel failed to CONSIDER the Law and they failed to CLEAVE to the Lord.
Today we see some of the same failures. Instead of overcoming the enemy with the Word of God; we compromise and allow the heathen to influence us. Thus a drift toward APOSTASY and APATHY.
The only REMEDY is to: REPENT and RETURN to the Lord.
Christ is our Victory, even our faith.
"God's work done in God's way will never lack God's supply" — Hudson Taylor
"The Great Commission is not an option to be considered; it is a command to be obeyed" — Hudson Taylor
"The spirit of Christ is the spirit of missions. The nearer we get to Him, the more intensely missionary we become."
"If a commission by an earthly king is considered a honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?" — David Livingstone
"Sympathy is no substitute for action." — David Livingstone, missionary to Africa
"Lost people matter to God, and so they must matter to us."
"The Bible is not the basis of missions; missions is the basis of the Bible"
"Christ wants not nibblers of the possible, but grabbers of the impossible." — C.T. Studd
"Any church that is not seriously involved in helping fulfill the Great Commission has forfeited its biblical right to exist." — Oswald J. Smith
"The mission of the church is missions" — Oswald J. Smith
"This generation of Christians is responsible for this generation of souls on the earth!"
"We talk of the Second Coming; half the world has never heard of the first." — Oswald J. Smith
"If you found a cure for cancer, wouldn't it be inconceivable to hide it from the rest of mankind? How much more inconceivable to keep silent the cure from the eternal wages of death."
When James Calvert went out as a missionary to the cannibals of the Fiji Islands, the ship captain tried to turn him back, saying, "You will lose your life and the lives of those with you if you go among such savages." To that, Calvert replied, "We died before we came here."
"To belong to Jesus is to embrace the nations with Him."
"You can give without loving. But you cannot love without giving."
"We must be global Christians with a global vision because our God is a global God."
"Never pity missionaries; envy them. They are where the real action is — where life and death, sin and grace, Heaven and Hell converge."
"Love is the root of missions; sacrifice is the fruit of missions"
"Prayer is the mighty engine that is to move the missionary work." — A.B. Simpson
"A congregation that is not deeply and earnestly involved in the worldwide proclamation of the gospel does not understand the nature of salvation."
"The Church must send or the church will end."
If Jesus Christ be God and died for me, then no sacrifice can be too great for me to make for Him.
- C.T. Studd
"Not, how much of my money will I give to God, but, how much of God’s money will I keep for myself?
- John Wesley
"The church that does not evangelize will fossilize.
- Oswald J. Smith
"Will you go to His feet and place yourself entirely at His disposal?
- William Booth
"Will you shed your tears for the souls of the nations?
"Would that God would make hell so real to us that we cannot rest; heaven so real that we must have men there, Christ so real that our supreme motive and aim shall be to make the Man of Sorrows the Man of Joy by the conversion to him of many.
- Hudson Taylor
Fellowship Baptist News
A place to catch up on the latest events...